Here are a few pictures taken during engine installation on my RV-6A.
Click on the thumbnails for larger pictures.

The engine is an Aerosport O-360-A1A (s/n 075)built up from parts by Bart Lalonde. I had Bart install new cylinders and H2AD pistons for a 9.2:1 compression ratio. Bart says this combo will produce about 195hp @2700 rpm. This is how the engine was crated for the trip from Kamloops, BC to Pine, Colorado.

Looks better than a new Lycoming, and cheaper too!

After swearing that the mount was not made for this particular engine, we finally figured it out. Once we got smart, attaching the engine to the mount took about 20 minutes.

The next step I took was to install the cooling baffles. Since my plans had the pages for the engine baffles I decided to scratch build my baffles. I glued the plans to some posterboard and then cut out the individual pieces for templates. Next I bent the templates and modified as necessary as I don't think all O-360's are quite the same. I then transferred the template to the aluminum (.032 6061-T6), cut and bent the part. Next time I'll by Van's baffle kit.

After I got the baffles built, I started making templates for an aluminum cover.

The template is transferred to the aluminum.

I drilled 3/16" holes at all bend intersections as stress relief and then cut the piece out.

After bending, the left plenum cover is trial fitted. The right side seemed a little easier to do. I used 64 screw and platenuts to attach the cover to the baffles.

Here the plenum is almost finished. All holes are drilled and the platenuts are next to be installed. The front inlets have not been trimmed to the cowl at this point.

Platnut installation is finished and the inlet holes have been trimmed to match the cowl. Baffle seals between the cowl and the plenum inlet are being installed here.

I decided to install a 4 port priming system for cold weather starts. I used the top ports that are normally used for FI for my primer injection. The 4 port manifold mounted in the center of the engine was fabricated from a block of 6061-T6.

This is just a different view of the priming system. The flex hose used is supplied by Aeroquip and is their NHRA racing version of the 701 hose. The hose and fittings can be purchased through any high performance racing shop and is listed as Aeroquip ACQ hose.

This is a right side view of my engine installation. At this stage I have installed a manifold pressure line and starter and alternator wiring. The top contactor is for the starter and the bottom contactor is for overvoltage protection of the internally regulated alternator supplied with the engine. Both the #2 starter cable and #8 alternator B-lead are encased in fire sleave for their run under the cylinders.

The starter and alternator contactors. It is hard to see, but at the end of the white wire with the yellow shrink tube is my 50 amp fuse holder. The fuse holder came out of a 1981 Honda Accord and was the main 50 amp fuse for the car.

Here is how I ran a tee from the fuel pump (inlet side) to my primer solenoid. I drilled and tapped a 1/8" npt fitting into the Aeroquip fuel pump fitting. Sharp eyes will see that the elbow for the primer line is of aluminum. I have replace the elbow with a steel one since this picture was taken.

Positech oil cooler with cockpit adjustable door. I beefed up the baffles in hopes to avoid cracking in the future.